How to Save Money on Wedding Hair and Makeup

This post is part five of my six-part series on saving money while planning a wedding.

When I was researching bridal hair and makeup looks for my wedding day, I experienced some serious sticker shock. Salons, stylists, and makeup artists generally have special wedding rates that they charge in order to reflect the amount of work that goes into a more elaborate look that must hold all day and look as flawless as possible.

At least, in theory. Even the simplest looks will not be discounted, and you may not receive a discount for providing your own makeup as most of the cost is associated with the artist's labor. And these costs can add up, making budgeting challenging for a frugal couple. According to Zola, the average cost of wedding hair and makeup is $300, but you may be expected to foot the bill for your bridal party. While the makeup and hairstyles for your bridesmaids are less elaborate (and therefore less expensive), covering up the cost of multiple makeovers can be a costly endeavor. If you are looking for more budget-friendly options, I have a few ideas for you.

Do It Yourself

This is a more attractive choice for ladies who already have experience with doing their own makeup and styling their own hair. I know several brides who chose to do their own makeup, primarily for more casual or semi-formal weddings. This option is, of course, the cheapest possible (apart from going bare-faced and wearing your everyday hairstyle).

If you are considering this option and don't have a lot of experience with hair and makeup, YouTube is an excellent resource. Makeup artists, hairstylists, and skilled amateurs all share their skills and tutorials on YouTube.

Friends and Family

Looking back, I have been to dozens of weddings and most of the happy couples did not opt professional hair or makeup. I wonder if this was more common in the 1990s and early 2000s, with less social media presence. Almost all of the bridal parties that I was in as a child/teen had their hair and makeup done by one of the bridesmaids or another family member. The bride always looked beautiful as her friends and family took just as much love and care with her final look as a professional would have.

If none of your wedding party (or guests) are skilled at hair and makeup, I suggest searching for an amateur hair and makeup stylist within your social circle. Someone who is less established in their craft may not own a salon but they may be quite good at what they do and for a fraction of the salon price.

Chain Salons

The stylists at chain salons are often quite talented and capable of achieving a number of styles for your special day. If you go this route, I suggest that you reach out to the chain salon of your choice at least a month in advance. After all, you need to be sure that the branch you have chosen will do formal styles and can achieve the look you want. Once you select a stylist at that salon, you can have a hair and makeup trial done to ensure you are happy with the results before the wedding day.

Some chain salons for you to consider: Great Clips, Supercuts, Hair Cuttery, Seva Beauty, Cost Cutters

Cosmetology Schools

Cosmetology schools offer discounted services performed by students, under the supervision of the school's instructors. This is the option that my best friend and I each chose for our weddings. We found the students to be very capable, as they are very near the end of their cosmetology training and many had been self-taught prior to their formal education. We each had a bridal hair trial a month prior to our weddings to ensure that we would be happy with the final hairstyle. My best friend also had a makeup trial, with which she was very pleased.

This is the cheapest salon option that I have found for wedding hair and makeup. I paid $15 for my wedding hair and makeup combined at my local beauty school, which is where I go for my regular haircuts. In contrast, I was quoted $275 by a regular salon for my very simple half-updo and wedding makeup. This significant savings paid for my wedding favors and the wedding cake!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Re-Upholster Dining Room Chairs

Meatless Meals: Greek Spinach Pie

What to Do with Stale Bread